Wailing Walls

I've been asked to produce a large painting of the Wailing Wall for my nephew and his wife, who are Orthodox Jews.   As I've never been, they sent several photographs of the angle they prefer, and asked, with a bit of a grin, as I'm of Syrian/Lebanese heritage, to leave the mosques in the background out of the painting.




This led me to some google searching, only to discover that yes, indeed, many modern artists' rendition of the Western Wall is depicted this way, devoid of context or historical background, as it were.




In a strange coincidence, at the time they asked, I was actively writing a cento --harvesting lines from various poems and songs on the subject of walls. 







Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up: Publications, Interview, Reviews, Teaching Gigs, Etc

Summer Solstice 2021

Judy Grahn